What do you do when you absolutely must choose or re-choose a career?
Choose (or Re-Choose) a Career
Life happens. There are times when change comes whether you asked for it or not. What about those times when you must choose a career?
- Maybe it is high school graduation and time for a real job
Or it happened that you must RE-choose a career?
- Maybe it is college graduation and you just realized there are limited opportunities for communication majors
- Maybe you’ve been downsized and the job market in your field is a wasteland
What do you do? Here are 5 things that will actually help when you need to choose or re-choose a career.
- Don’t panic! If you panic, you’ll spin your wheels. Instead frame this experience in a healthy way: God has brought you an adventure. Think of this as a journey. It will be exciting to see what God does next! (This is a good time to contact me to do some Career Coaching, btw.)
- Discover and redefine. Spend a little time going back to square one about yourself. Take a look at your personality, strengths, weaknesses, values, and interests. Think about the things God has shown you through your life experiences. Discover a few new things about yourself; remember and redefine the things you have forgotten. Download Trail Guide to Career Exploration for Adults to help you do this. Then download the Trail Guide to Writing Your Personal Mission Statement as the last step in discovering and redefining yourself.
- Dream big and decide your limits. If you had a magic wand right now, what would you simply LOVE to do as a career? Spend a little time exploring O-Net, the Dept of Labor’s resource for all things career. You can find job descriptions, outlook for future in that job, and suggestions of similar jobs. Also decide your limits…How long can you wait before you have to take a temporary position? Sometimes career development is a process that requires a short time at Plan B jobs.
- Develop your tools. Do you need to update your resume? Refresh your interviewing skills? Time to get busy! That is part of what you will do in your coaching with me at VickiTillmanCoaching, we can work through Skype or Google Hangouts to discuss and develop your skills.
- Do some good deeds. I’m not kidding. Remember, what you sow you reap. You need some good to happen to you, so make some good happen for someone else. That’s how the kingdom of God works.
Go have an adventure! God has you on a new career journey so enjoy the process. Contact me when you’d like to have a guide through the process!