Don’t get stuck! Here are 5 ways out of quarter-life crisis.
5 Ways Out of Quarter-life Crisis
This is NOT the life you signed up for! Not the relationships you thought you’d be enjoying by now. Not the faith you thought you were going to be solid in. And definitely not the lifestyle you were planning on when you earned your degree to the tune of big student loans.
The 20-somethings I work with are often at a forced turning point in life. They cannot live happily the way things are. They are not alone: quarter-life crisis is huge in the western world. Britain’s Daily Mail reported up to 73% of young Brits are experiencing the same thing.
1) Get out of your own way. Go volunteer. You can’t figure out the way out of crisis by simply mulling on it. Get your mind on others. It is good for your soul and makes space for new ideas. (Not that you need to become a professional volunteer, it is simply good for the journey- and for the folks you help.)
2) Do new things. Sometimes a quarter-lifer’s world purely implodes. Same old routines, same old people, same old stuff, same old expectations aren’t doing the same thing for you anymore. Start doing one new thing each week. Find meetup groups that are prepping for cause-oriented 5ks, churches that are doing meaningful growth groups. Find organizations that are making life happen.
3) Acceptance. Life sucks. Well, not all the time. But parts of it do. Paying bills, especially student loans, sucks. Finding out that you’re not the top of the lineup in life is awful. Accept it, then find the things that are good and concentrate on them. You will find them when you look.
4) Re-evaluate. You might be able to switch or upgrade careers. But don’t do anything rash. Take a moment are re-evaluate who you are and what you’re about. If you aren’t sure or if you haven’t thought about it for a while, download the Trail Guide to Writing a Personal Mission Statement and the Trail Guide to Career Exploration for Adults. They are great first steps on a new portion of your life journey.
5) Get a mentor. That’s what Life Transitions Coaching is all about. It helps to have a wise guide through this part of your life journey. Contact me: I’ll help guide you through the quarter-life crisis and into the adventure of a fulfilling and meaningful life.
5 Ways out of Quarter-life Crisis