Exploring the Job Search in Newark: Popular Jobs and Companies
Guest Post by Sydney Frazer of Glassdoor.com
Spring has sprung and is commonly the time for fresh starts. Many people decide to start looking for a new job and if you are looking in the Newark area, consider yourself lucky! I have rounded up much of the information you need to perform an informed job search — from the local labor market to popular job searches and companies in Newark.
Newark is located in New Castle County and is a part of the Philadelphia metropolitan area. The local labor market in Newark looks pretty ideal for job seekers. The unemployment rate in New Castle County was 3.6 percent in December 2016, considerably below the national average of 4.7 percent. The population in Newark grew by 7.3 percent from 2010 to 2015, but the competition for open jobs isn’t too fierce given the 15,857 open positions. While the cost of living in Newark is 4 percent higher than the average in Delaware and 17 percent higher than the national average, this is reflected in the above average salary in the area. In addition, Delaware’s cost of living is significantly cheaper than most of its neighboring states in the Northeast.
The next step in the job search is getting an idea of the kinds of job openings available. A great place to start is with popular job searches and companies in the area.
3 Popular Job Searches in Newark
- One of the more popular job searches in Newark is Administrative Assistant. With 162 open admin positions in the area, job seekers have their fair share of choices. While admins in Newark on average make less than the median base salary in the city, they do earn more than the average admin in the United States. Administrative Assistants in Newark can expect to earn approximately $35,327. Interested in applying for one of the open jobs? The interview will likely assess your ability to manage time, communicate efficiently, and stay organized with behavioral questions. Prepare for the interview with the following questions:
- Name a time when you knew your immediate supervisor was wrong about an issue. What was the issue, and how did you handle it?
- How would you handle multiple projects and deadlines from different supervisors?
- Have you ever been on a team where someone was not pulling their own weight? How did you handle it?
- Another common job search in the area is Store Manager. There are 461 open store manager positions in Newark. Looking to snag one of these positions? The average salary for a Store Manager in Newark is $47,569, which is a bit below that of the median base salary in Newark, but above the national average for the position. If you land an interview, expect questions that try to tease out your ability to lead in a positive manner that keeps things running smoothly and fosters a positive work environment. Some common questions to practice with include:
- What would you do if one of your employees came to you with a very personal problem that did not have anything to do with their job?
- Describe your management style.
- What is the most important decision you make everyday as a store manager?
- Medical Receptionist is another popular job search in Newark. With 86 open jobs at companies ranging from MedExpress to St. Francis Hospital, people looking to work in this field have a wide variety to choose from. Prepare yourself for an interview that focuses on your interpersonal skills. The interviewer will try to determine what kind of first impression you will leave on patients, as well as your ability to use critical thinking skills to efficiently handle issues that pop up. Consider preparing for these common questions:
- How would you handle an angry patient?
- What previous experience do you have working in a stressful environment?
- How would you handle a situation where you have a patient in front of you, your manager asks you to do something, and the phone starts ringing?
None of these roles fit what you are looking for? You might instead consider applying for a job at one of the popular companies in Newark that are hiring.
2 Popular Companies in Newark
- University of Delaware employs over 4,000 people in Newark. With a 4.1 star rating, significantly above the average 3.3 star company rating, employees appear to be pretty satisfied working there. There are 7 open jobs at UD, ranging from a Police Officer, to an Outreach Specialist, to a Sales Consultant. UD employees cite a benefits package that is “above average with affordable employee contributions.” This includes a PPO or HMO plan that is inexpensive, but comprehensive, a pension plan, and an FSA for health care and dependent care expenses.
- J.P. Morgan is headquartered in New York, but employs over 8,700 employees in Delaware; the company is expanding operations in Newark and has designated it as one of seven “strategic technology hubs” in the United States. With 145 open jobs in Newark alone, job seekers have quite a bit of runway to find a position that fits their skills. The benefits and perks package at J.P. Morgan includes a 401(k) plan with matching up to five percent, as well as great social events that allow employees to meet and network with many other professionals and executives. In addition, a mobile phone discount and commuter checks are common.
These jobs and companies might not coincide with your exact desires and expertise, and that is perfectly okay. One of the many multinationals with offices in Newark might be more what you are looking for. Air Liquide, Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, and QPS all have locations in Newark.
If you are looking to go a completely different path, it might be time to consider attending some career coaching sessions. Get help dusting off your resume, preparing for interviews, and understanding what you are truly looking for. Now get out there and get started!
Sydney’s bio: As a Partnerships Manager at Glassdoor, Sydney works with hundreds of accounts across universities, libraries, and blogs, helping to provide them with content and tools to aid job seekers. Outside of work, Sydney enjoys running, hiking, and searching for the perfect burrito.